This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
- 1 How to grind juniper berries?
- 2 What are the uses and benefits of juniper berries?
- 3 Health benefits of juniper berries
- 4 Can you eat juniper berries?
- 5 How do you make juniper Berry extracts?
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Can you dry juniper berries?
- 8 How do I dry juniper berries?
- 9 How long do dried juniper berries last?
- 10 Can You Grind Juniper Berries – Conclusion
Juniper Berries are flavours used to cook and add in medicines used in time past. Are you wondering if it is possible to grind these berries before using them to cook? Well, you’ll find out very soon.
So, Can you grind juniper berries? Yes, you can grind juniper berries. These berries can be ground as much as you want, however, it is advisable to use mortar and pestle to grind them.
Why you might ask? Well, this is because juniper berries don’t have solid inner parts, so, when grinding these berries, they will mince and strip, but not turn into a powdery form.
Also, fresh juniper berries will be soft and will tolerate grinding adequately. You should not use a coffee or spice grinder to grind these berries as you’d need to put in extensive labor to get them cleaned after use. These grinders would also not grind the juniper berries as required.
Juniper berries have similar grease as pine shells and pine needles, these greases are usually difficult to get out of the ravines of a grinder.
If you don’t own a mortar and pestle, it is advisable to get a ceramic pair with an unglazed centre. Having known that you can grind your juniper berries, let’s discuss how you can grind the berries perfectly.
How to grind juniper berries?
Grinding juniper berries isn’t so difficult to do as you just need to follow the right steps. As aforementioned, you should grind your berries with the use of mortar and pestle. If you don’t have one, you should purchase them.
Put a little number of your juniper berries in the mortar. Putting many at a time can leave you with a messy floor.
Use the pestle to crush the berries continuously till they start breaking.
When they start breaking, you can apply a bit more strength by tugging them against the bottom and the sides of the mortar using a circular movement. The more strength you have, the better.
After doing the circular grinding movement, hit the pestle on the mortar on the floor or table to get down those berries hanging on the sides of the pestle.
Then, repeat the grinding method till you get a fair texture.
NB- No matter how much you grind the juniper berries, you cannot get a powdery form. Simply ensure you grind for a little period.
What are the uses and benefits of juniper berries?
Juniper berries aren’t just ordinary berries, they can be used for different purposes, and they have lots of health benefits.
The uses and benefits of these juniper berries will be discussed separately. Below are the uses and health benefits of juniper berries;
Uses of juniper berries
Below are the uses of juniper berries;
- Juniper berries are used as seasonings, and the berries extract is used to make pills.
- Juniper berries extract is used to treat infections in the urinary tract, kidney, and bladder stones.
- The extract is also used to treat diabetes and snakebite.
- The Juniper Berry extract can be added directly to the skin to treat soreness and pains in the muscles and sutures.
- Dry juniper Berry extract can be used to treat stomach discomforts such as intestinal gas, bloating, heartburn, upset stomach, gastrointestinal illnesses, and loss of appetite.
- These berries extracts are used to make some of your makeup contents such as foundations, eye shadows, and lipstick.
- It is used to make other beauty products like hair conditioner, shampoo, bath oils, and so on.
- They carry the chemicals that can reduce inflammation and gas
- It can be used to fight infections and viruses.
Health benefits of juniper berries
The benefits of juniper berries are as follows;
- Juniper berries contain sour components that facilitate bile progression and the production of digestive Enzymes.
- They are also added to the medications for stomach discomfort and gastrointestinal illnesses.
- Juniper berries are potential diuretics that improve the progression of urine, stimulating to cultivate the system with surplus fluids and facilitating the kidneys.
- The Berry extracts are packaged with erratic oils particularly with terpinene, which boosts the increasing proportion of kidney filtration.
- These berries include antioxidants and phytochemicals such as alpha-pinene, borneol, caryophyllene, myrcene, and so on.
- The extract enhances the motion of catalase, superoxide dismutase, and so on. These are important antioxidants added to the body that protects against free revolutionary destruction.
- The juniper extract comprises numerous solvents that enhance insulin generation by minimizing blood sugar degrees.
Can you eat juniper berries?
Of course, you can eat juniper berries. Juniper berries are palatable enough to be eaten. Funny enough, you might have tasted them before without knowing that they are juniper berries. However, this is only for those who drink intoxicating beverages and gins.
Juniper berries are added to gins to give it a unique taste. These berries are super nutritious with a lot of benefits. Also, they can be added to different recipes and used for meats.
How do you make juniper Berry extracts?
Juniper Berry extracts are used for a lot of things, but you should know how to make them on your own instead of buying them. I’d list the materials you’d need, and the steps below on how you can make juniper berry extracts.
- 60 proof of alcohol.
- A few dried juniper berries.
- Iron spoon.
- Container tag.
Step 1: Scale your alcohol and juniper berries
The scale of your alcohol and berries should be at least a 1:5 proportion for the extraction to conform perfectly.
Step 2: Mix the two ingredients
Use your mortar and pestle to crush your berries. Mix your crushed juniper with the alcohol in a container.
Step 3: Store the container
Store the container in a cool and dry place for about two weeks, almost 6 and a half weeks. On each day, mix the mixture then, examine the flavor by putting a finger in it, kneading your hands together, and scenting it. Also, you can put a drop of the mixture in water to know how vital the flavor is.
Step 4: Strain the berries
When you are sure that your juniper has been extracted, bring out the container from the cool place, and put a strainer with wet cheesecloth. Start straining the junipers through the strainer and cheesecloth into another container.
NB- ensure you squeeze out the flavor from the berries into the cloth.
Step 5: Use your funnel
With the use of the funnel, pour the extract into a bottle and store the extract appropriately.
Can you dry juniper berries?
Of course, you can dry juniper berries. Juniper berries can dry on their own and you can also speed up the drying process. Putting these berries in the sun or on high heat isn’t the best way to dry them.
You should dry your berries at a cool temperature and away from direct sun. You can speed up the process by putting the juniper in a dehydrator all night as these are better than placing them in the sun or on high heat.
How do I dry juniper berries?
After knowing you can dry juniper berries, the next thing is to know how to dry them. From the explanation above, we can tell that the way to dry these berries is not so hard. Below are the ways to dry juniper Berries.
Put your juniper berries on a baking sheet.
Place the sheet out of reach of children or anyone.
Ensure the sheet is not placed in direct sunlight. You should leave the berries overnight.
How long do dried juniper berries last?
Dried juniper berries last for two or three years when you store them properly. These berries also make an extraordinary role by providing as much to the nature of a meal as their freshening capability, just like they do with their taste specialty.
So, you should store these juniper berries properly for them to last as long as the duration provided. If these berries are spoiled, you can’t use them anymore. After drying these berries, you shouldn’t keep them in direct sunlight, they should be kept at room temperature out of the reach of children.
Can You Grind Juniper Berries – Conclusion
Now that you are sure that you can grind your juniper berries, grinding them properly is needed. However, the grinding process has been made easier for you with the provision of steps above. You can’t get a powdery form of these berries no matter how they are ground.
Use a little bit of your energy while grinding them. These berries have a lot of uses and benefits, so you should use them properly. The extract can be added to a lot of things to cure some illnesses.
Also, how to make these berries extracts have been provided in this article. Kindly heed all the steps provided closely to get the right result.
I hope all of your questions have been answered. Kindly put down your comments in the comment section below.