This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Using a mortar and pestle to grind herbs into a delicate powder or paste is a fantastic way to spice up your meals. However, selecting the best mortar and pestle for herbs can be challenging, especially if you’ve never used it before
The best mortar and pestle for herbs is the ChefSofi Mortar and Pestle Set. The mortar features a competitive two-cup capacity, and both components are made of granite for optimal friction and grinding power. This set also comes with a non-slip pad to keep your countertop scratch-free.
Without further ado, let’s explore the best mortar and pestle set to help you handle your herbs like a pro!
Best Overall: ChefSofi Mortar and Pestle Set
- A kitchen must-have: Mortar and pestle set (mortero de cocina - morter and pessel - molcajete or guacamole bowl and pestel) has been used for THOUSANDS of years as THE way to crush, grind and powder herbs and dry spices. Contrary to an electric grinder or crusher, the age-old, durable, traditional manual grinding method ensures that all cooking ingredients bring out their full flavor and aroma profiles, allowing you to further control their texture and make delicious, chunk-free dishes.
- Versatile tool: Take advantage of your brand new stone motar and pedestal set’s various applications in the kitchen and simplify your everyday life! Use your mortor to pulverize nuts, seeds, ginger root and garlic and make homemade salad dressing, sauces and condiments, such as fresh mustard, quacamole, pesto, salsa, chutneys and more. Widely used in pharmacies and apothecaries, your molcajete set will help you powder pills, for optimal ingestion, or hide them in your stubborn pet’s kibble!
- Effortless use: This ChefSofi stone mocajetes motor & pedestal set was designed with your convenience in mind. Made from unpolished granite, you will waste no time fumbling or stabilizing your pestal masher, as our motar’s cup interior provides the best, metate-like natural friction for swift ingredient crushing, grinding or powdering. With a 500 ml (approx. 2 Cup) capacity, this stone mortor also reduces the need for ingredient refills, affording quick food prep, in one go!
- Quick cleaning & zero kitchen messes: As granite is inherently durable and heavy, this mortar will not slip on your kitchen counters, remaining still throughout the grinding process. Our pestle offers foolproof grip, gliding across the mortar’s interior, without the need of excess hand motions, which would result in ingredient waste and kitchen counter messes! By investing in this stoneware set, you are gaining a timeless, multifunctional kitchen tool, which will make cooking a breeze!
- Satisfaction guarantee: We want you to be absolutely elated with your moter and pestle set, which is why we are offering you a Risk-Free purchase. In the unlikely event our set fails to meet or exceed your expectations, you are welcome to return it for a hassle-free, FULL refund. Purchase Now The Best, Unpolished Marble - Granite Mortar & Pestle Set On The Market!
People have used mortars and pestles since ancient times. Some of the earliest of these grinding tools were made of heavy stone. There’s an excellent reason for this.
Thick stone can withstand pressure better than handmade pottery, making it ideal for food-grinding tasks.
The ChefSofi Mortar and Pestle Set harkens back to these easy days of culinary history, as it’s made of thick unpolished granite. This material is gritty and coarse, providing an optimal level of friction to transform whole herbs into delicate powders.
- Large capacity: The average mortar and pestle can only hold about a cup worth of ingredients, but this model has a two-cup capacity, allowing you to grind more herbs in less time.
- Non-slip pad: In addition to being made of heavy granite, this mortar and pestle set comes with a non-slip pad that protects countertops from scratching and keeps the mortar in place while you work.
- Thick pestle: The thick granite pestle makes short work of grinding thanks to its wide, gritty tip.
- Seasoning: Granite mortar and pestles require pre-seasoning before use, which can be somewhat time-consuming. Still, you can learn how to season your mortar and pestle in just a few minutes.
- Can shatter: Although granite can withstand pressure, especially the kind generated by grinding herbs, it can shatter if dropped onto a hard surface (like a tiled kitchen floor).
Easiest To Use: ZHAOHUA 0.618 Mortar and Pestle Set
- [Unique Shape]: As an alternative to the traditional mortar and pestle shape, the marble mortar and mushroom pestle are perfectly matched, with more contact surfaces, which effectively prevents food from splashing, and can complete the grinding work faster and better. It's mirror polished all around except for the inside and middle of mortar, very smooth, they can also be used as a countertop decoration.
- [Efficient and Effortless]: Stone grinder is made of natural granite, and the inner cavity retains roughness to obtain a better grinding effect, twist the top or bottom of the mortar & pestle, it grinds very evenly, just use small force to rotate around the circle or squeeze up or down to grind, it can easily crush garlic, dill seeds, spices, nuts, pills, etc. You can also use it to make condiments, food, and mixed ingredients, it is a must-have kitchen tool.
- [Easy to Clean]: The crusher set comes with a brush, which can be used before and after use to avoid the difficulty of cleaning the pestle and mortar after making the sauce. The pill crusher has a placemat on the bottom, to protect the countertop when using it, and avoid noise and non-slip.
- [Easy to Grip]: 4 inches, 1/2 cup, saves counter space, delicate and compact, you can easily hold it in your hand and use it. It not only can be used as a special kitchen decoration, for home cooking and medical purposes but also a wonderful gift ideal for family and friends for Christmas, weddings, birthdays, housewarmings, and so on.
- [Exquisite Packaging]: The grinding bowl and pestle are rock solid, pack with a solid carton box, both separately come in a thick bubble wrap, which can fully protect the products you receive from damage. (Tip: since the mortar set is made of natural stone, each product maybe have a slightly different marble color or pattern, this is a normal natural factor).
Learning how to use a mortar and pestle might only take a few minutes. But getting the hang of the herb-grinding process can take practice, especially when using a thin pestle.
Fortunately, this set comes with a mushroom-shaped pestle that fits into the mortar like a glove. This pestle maximizes grinding surface area, helping you shred herbs more quickly and easily. It also has a ridged interior for added friction.
- Unique pestle shape: The mushroom-shaped pestle features more surface area than standard club-shaped pestles. The greater grinding surface can help you pulverize herbs more quickly and efficiently.
- Included items: When you choose this set, you’ll also receive a non-slip mat and brush. These practical add-ons are a smart addition.
- Looks great: The polished granite exterior gives this mortar-and-pestle set a refined look. You don’t need to hide this mortar and pestle in a cupboard because it looks great on countertops.
- Tiny capacity: Unfortunately, the mortar capacity is a lackluster ½ cup (about 6.6 tablespoons).
- Slippery exterior: Though the polished exterior is aesthetically pleasing, it can also be slippery, especially when working with water-rich herbs or making herb-based pastes and sauces like pesto.
Easiest To Clean: Tera Stainless Steel Mortar and Pestle
- SOLID RUSTPROOF MATERIAL: Both pestle and mortar are made of food grade 18/8 stainless steel. Not only are they rustproof, it is also resistant to damage and corrosion by acidic food. Small compact mortar, about the size of the average palm - whereas one could pick it up with one hand, capacity 250ml
- DURABLE AND STABLE: Made of solid metal, the pestle feels substantial in your hand and the mortar sits securely on your kitchen counter. Padding on the bottom makes it stay put even more.
- FOOD-SAFE: Because stainless steel does not hold residue or leftover odor, all it takes is a thorough rinsing under the tap to get it ready for next use.
- MESSY NOT: Translucent lid allows you to gauge your strikes and keeps the contents in the bowl, not over counter top.
- ALL YOUR GRINDING NEEDS: This grinding setup will accommodate just about anyone’s grinding needs. From medical pills, to herbs and spices; from the pharmacy to your kitchen.
Cleaning stone mortar and pestle sets can be time-consuming, as most need careful handwashing after each use.
Thankfully, this stainless steel mortar and pestle set washes clean in an instant! You can even put it in the dishwasher for fast, hands-free cleaning. It also comes with a plastic lid (with a hole in the middle) to keep herbs from slipping out while you’re grinding.
- Rustproof: Unlike lower-quality metal mortar and pestle sets, this stainless steel model won’t rust.
- Mess-free lid: It’s easy to make a mess when grinding herbs in a mortar and pestle. This set comes with a lid to keep your grinding tasks mess-free!
- Dishwasher safe: Most stone mortar and pestle sets aren’t dishwasher-friendly, but you can pop this stainless steel set into the dishwasher for quick and convenient cleaning.
- Lightweight: Heavier mortars make for better grinding, as they won’t slip and slide on your countertop. This set weighs less than 2lbs (about 0.9 kilograms), so you’ll need to use a hand or non-slip mat to keep it in place while grinding herbs.
- Reduced friction: Stainless steel is far smoother than granite or stone, so you may need to apply extra pressure to grind herbs in this mortar.
A mortar and pestle set can help you make short work of grinding herbs and other dry ingredients.
The best mortar and pestle should be easy to use and keep clean. It should also be capable of transforming any herb into a fine powder or paste. Hopefully, this guide has helped you discover a mortar and pestle that suits your needs, preferences, and budget!